Art studio allows creative free reign

Every Sunday, the Augustana Art Department is opening up Abbey Studio for open studio sessions.  All students are welcome to attend the open hours and make art.
Some of the supplies that will be available to use include pastels, water colors, acrylics, fabric paints, and many others.  Students are also welcome to bring their own project and use Abbey Studio’s resources to continue their work.
While this isn’t the first year that Augustana’s art department is offering the open hours, many students are taking advantage of it for the first time.  On the most recent Sunday, the majority of students attending were first-year students.
“I really love art and I’ve been doing it throughout high school,” said first-year Kirsten Biefeld, who is planning on majoring in Anthropological Biology.  “I decided that coming to (open studio) was a good way to meet people with the same interests.”
Sophomore Aubrey Lyon had never been to the open studio, but had taken many classes in the Abbey Studio.  She said that one of her main drives was wanting more time outside of just class to dedicate to art.
“I love art, but I just never really do it because I have some sort of excuse,” said Lyon.  “If I actually have time to make art, I’ll take advantage of that.”
While not every student at the open studio was majoring or minoring in art, they all shared one similar interest:  The desire to be creative.
“When I first came in, the instructor just said ‘Here are the art supplies, let me know if you need anything’,” said Biefold.  “It’s kind of a free-for-all.”
Lyon also enjoys that she holds her own creative reigns.
“Sometimes when art classes just tell you have to do something, it takes the magic out of it”, says Lyon. “Here, we can make the choice for ourselves.”
Students are definitely taking advantage of those free reigns.  Some of the projects being worked on include self-portraits, charcoal drawings, portraits of friends, abstract paintings, free hand drawings, and stream of consciousness works.
Not only does the Open Studio allow for students to creatively express themselves, it also gives them a potential way to showcase their art, as some works will be displayed at Cool Beanz throughout the year.
For those interested, the Open Studio Hours take place every Sunday from 6:00-8:00 pm in Abbey Studio Room 2.