Heywire brings laughs to campus

Heywire, Augustana’s improvisational comedy group, is finding more ways to get involved on campus this school year, including having practices open to the entire school.
“If you don’t know what improv comedy is, it is acting that is made up on the spot, generally based on audience suggestions,” said Ethan Conley-Keck, a sophomore Heywire member who also serves as the groups treasuruer. “If you have ever seen Whose Line Is It Anyway or Second City, we are similar to them.”
Heywire has auditions each year usually during the second week of fall term, and members do not necessarily need any improv or acting experience to be on the team.
Members are not only those with theater majors or minors but come from many different fields of academic study such as Conley-Keck, a religion and history major.
Heywire is a group where students can have fun performing improvcomedy while getting more involved in campus life and making new friendships along the way. The group practices twice a week, along with added open Sunday practices. During these “open practice” sessions on Sundays, all students are welcome to stop by and check out Heywire and learn what improv comedy is all about.
Improv involves a lot of split second thinking and comfortability with public speaking.
“Improv skills translate directly into real life skills like interviewing, versatile thinking, and flexibility,” said Conley-Keck.  Conley-Keck strongly believes that even those who are not interested in performing can gain valuable real-world skills at Heywire’s new open practices.
Heywire is looking to become more involved in Augustana’s campus life and open practices are just the beginning of this new involvement.  Current Heywire president, Camilo Duarte, states that they are “working with Professional Development a.k.a. CORE to help run seminars” such as one before ProFair that helped students learn how to interact with employers.
Duarte also explains that the group “has multiple performances throughout the year,” one of which is coming up October 7th.  Heywire can also perform at any group’s events to add that extra spice of fun, and Conley-Keck mentioned that Heywire previously performed at events such as Relay for Life and the Homecoming talent show.
For the first time ever, Heywire is also going to try and qualify for the National Improvisation Collegiate Competition and step into the competitive realm of improve, which Duarte, along with the entire team, is very excited about.
Heywire has a lot planned this year so watch as this group not only entertains their fellow students but also creates a new and exciting image for Heywire as they become more involved on campus.