SAGA stems from radical acts of vulnerability

Radical acts of vulnerability are the base from which Augustana’s art and literary magazine, SAGA, stems. Co-editor in chief, Alyssa Fröhling, describes her coined term as “taking something that you have created and that is personal and putting it out there to be judged by other people without explaining yourself”.

Fröhling and Elena Leith, two of the three editors-in-chief, understand how intimidating these radical acts can be, but they don’t want this to dissuade any interested students from sharing their work.

Combing through the SAGA archives found in special collections, it is evident that this magazine is constantly evolving. Just since 2014, the magazine has been through impressive changes in printing quality as well as its social and online presence.

In addition to the changes in paper and printing quality, Fröhling and Leith are focused on increasing awareness of the magazine through upcoming social events including open mic nights, workshops, and other gatherings.

“We think that there are so many people on campus who might be looking for an outlet like SAGA. They just might not know we’re here and might not until their senior year. It’s so important to be aware and involved,” said Leith.

In years past, SAGA received many more submissions than recent years, giving Leith and Fröhling reason to stress the inclusivity of the magazine. Submissions are diverse and, while every magazine has a certain feel or image, SAGA has a wide range of fiction stories, photography, drawings, poetry, and paintings— there is no overriding criteria.

“I would tell people not to be discouraged. We have people on our staff who submitted to SAGA and didn’t get anything published their freshman year,” Fröhling said. That same person had five pieces published two years ago and then won first place in poetry last year.”

SAGA also has copyediting, technical editing, and marketing opportunities for students to take advantage of. Learn more about where and how to submit any writing, art, or photography by visiting the SAGA website or by sending an email to [email protected].

“We aren’t just a bunch of judgmental artists sitting in a corner drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. We are just as insecure about our work as the people who are submitting,” said Leith. “I think its important for people to say screw it, type the email, and press send.”