Unabridged Opens Next Chapter for English Students

Augustana’s English club Unabridged is no run of the mill book club. The group, intended for English and Creative Writing majors or minors but open to all students, meets every other Tuesday at 7pm for literary-themed fun.

“We are interested in creating a community for English majors and writers, because sometimes it’s so lonely to just read books in isolation,” explained Dr. Meg Gillette, the group’s advisor and head of the English department.

Unabridged prides itself on its variety of quirky events held throughout each term. Every meeting involves hot cocoa and games, but every meeting has something special in mind. The group hosts a “Yoga for Writers” event every week eight to help students release tension and refocus amidst the mounting chaos of term papers. The group also hosts “Old Main Write-Ins” to help writers get creative juices flowing with help from fellow writers.

The group also works to help students get out of the “Augie Bubble”. Every year, Unabridged offers its members the opportunity to visit a literary site in the United States. Last year, the group traveled to Hannibal, Missouri to visit Mark Twain’s hometown. Highlights included cave tours and a Mark Twain themed riverboat cruise.

Unabridged’s biggest event of each term, however, is the “book versus movie” reading. Each term, the group picks one book to read, and then at the end of the term, the group watches the movie version and compares the two to decide which version is best. Previous selections have included Carrie by Stephen King and The Princess Bride by William Goldman. This term the group selected Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris to get members in the Halloween mood.

New this year is the club’s English Commons Space project. Unabridged hopes to refurbish the old secretary’s office in Old Main’s English hall as a public space for students. Gillette wants to create a space that will best benefit students and best work with the space available. Different ideas have included a reading nook with bean bags or a computer lab for writing, or a space for students to meet and workshop with professors.

Students interested in majoring or minoring in English or Creative Writing can also attend one of Unabridged’s alumni panels. These panels aim to help students network and explore opportunities available for English and Creative Writing majors after graduation.

Unabridged also welcomes students who aren’t English majors but share a passion for literature.

“College students get so bogged down with reading assignments for homework that it is a relief to interact with a text for pleasure,” explained Unabridged officer Allyson Jesse.

For students searching for a way to reconnect with an old hobby or interested in trying something new, Unabridged provides a cozy atmosphere and genuine literary passion.