Students to compete in Battle of the Bands

Some of the best bands on campus are fighting for the top spot in the upcoming Battle of the Bands competition.
On May 10 at 7 p.m., the men of Phi Mu Alpha will host the first Battle of the Bands competition. The event will be held in Centennial Hall.
Sophomore Ian Martin is the fundraising chair for this event. He is a member of Phi Mu Alpha and has been working to make the first Battle of the Bands competition a success.
“Audiences can expect bands to perform original songs,” Martin said.
Junior John Stenger is performing in two of the bands in the competition. The first band is called Improbability Drive. The band also played in Sloughfest, and gives a more indie and alternative sound. Stenger plays the acoustic guitar and provides some vocal support. The other members of the band include Rachel Auton and Brandon Wills.
“We saw the email, and we always sign up for the opportunity to play,” Stenger said. “We love to have people come and hear us play.”
There are high stakes for the bands that are competing. The first place winner is rewarded $5o, and 30 percent of the profits from the event goes to a charity of their choice. The second place winner is rewarded $25, and the third place winner $10.
The second band that Stenger is performing with is entitled Stained Glass Motorcade. Stenger plays guitar and is the lead vocalist. other members of the band include Stephen Dempsey, Devon White and Stephi Drago.
There will be 3 to 4 bands performing in this event. The men of Phi Mu Alpha are hoping to create a rock band setting that encompasses what a real Battle of the Bands competition.
The competition will cost $3 for Augustana students and $5 for anyone else. Tickets will be sold at the door.