Up in the air: Lauren Bergquist brings new tricks

K.F
Baton twirler Lauren Berquist performs in the Roy J. Carver Center on Dec. 10 during the basketball game. Berquist, a first-year, has been twirling for 13 years and has competed at the national level. Photo by Hoang Nguyen.

Baton twirler Lauren Berquist performs in the Roy J. Carver Center on Dec. 10 during the basketball game. Berquist, a first-year, has been twirling for 13 years and has competed at the national level.  Photo by Hoang Nguyen.
Baton twirler Lauren Berquist performs in the Roy J. Carver Center on Dec. 10 during the basketball game. Berquist, a first-year, has been twirling for 13 years and has competed at the national level.
Photo by Hoang Nguyen.

After competing across the country and at Disney’s ESPN Sports Arena, freshman Lauren Bergquist has brought her skill to Augustana. Bergquist has been baton twirling since she was six years old, and now competes nationally, coaches younger students and performs at Augustana games.
Bergquist, 19, knew Augustana does not have a marching band, but wanted to prove the value of twirling outside of the conventional idea.
“Twirling is so much more than looking pretty with a metal stick in your hand,” Bergquist said. “People tended to associate twirling with the leader of a marching band a few generations ago, but it is nothing like that anymore.”
Last winter, she contacted Athletic Director Mike Zapolski about twirling at Augustana. Bergquist sent in an audition tape with both performance and competitive routines, and said Zapolski allowed her to twirl at games without hesitation.
“Twirling at the games is the craziest experience ever,” Bergquist said. “Since I am also on Vikettes, I perform with my wonderful teammates, do a quick change in the corner, and I run back out and twirl. Being a first year, I wasn’t really sure how the crowd would respond to twirling because most people have never seen it before, but the reaction was overwhelmingly amazing.”
Bergquist’s most impressive trick, according to fans’ reactions, is when she lights two batons on fire. She holds one in her mouth and passes the other behind her back.
“The crowd always enjoys that one,” Bergquist added.
Bergquist said she has twirled competitively since she was 1o years old, when she joined the Silver Knights Baton Corps. Throughout her training, she competed alone and with her team. She was also the feature twirler for her high school in Barlett, Ill.
“She is an outstanding student and quickly improved her skills and became an advanced twirler two years after she became a member of the corps, Director of the Silver Knights, Jo Ann Britton said. “She is known for exciting and entertaining style of twirling.  She is an Illinois and Regional Champion in several events including two in baton.”
Bergquist said one of the biggest highlights of her twirling career has been working with Britton and her team. Their support showed last July, when the group performed at State competitions. Less than a minute into their routine, Bergquist fell and broke her foot. Unable to finish the performance, her teammates carried her off the field.
“I wasn’t about to let a silly break stop me from twirling, so even though I was still on crutches, my coach was able to modify my role in the routine to still be able to go out and perform,” Bergquist said. “My teammates were absolutely amazing in helping me get through such a rough time and were overly supportive in still letting (me) go out and compete even though I could barely walk. My coaches all said I was this great role model for all of the younger girls on the team, but the true greatness came from all of the teammates and parents that took care of me.”
The support of her team, friends and family has helped her be the twirler she is today. But, she said nothing beats performing solo.
“There isn’t a feeling anymore overwhelming and amazing (than) walking onto the court or stage with an entire audience watching nothing but little five-foot me,” Bergquist said.
Bergquist trains for up to 25 hours every week, between team rehearsal, solo practice and coaching lessons. Besides the athleticism and balance she has worked to perfect, Bergquist said her biggest achievement is being confident in public.
“I think the most important thing I have achieved with twirling is the ability to talk to people and to public speak with ease,” Bergquist said. “Performing by myself in front of a crowd of a couple thousand makes giving a speech in class seem like a breeze.”
Over her 13 years of baton twirling, Bergquist said she is proud to remember qualifying for nationals in the advance division, competing at Disney World and winning her high school’s talent show her senior year. And, she said performing at Augustana is something she will always remember.
“My first football and basketball games at Augie are two performances I will never forget,” Bergquist said. “The adrenaline rush of performing in front of my peers, especially for the first time, is an insane but truly fantastic experience.”